9.21.2009

Hi Ho.

- Slapstick by Kurt Vonnegut


It's been too long once again, though tonight brings no deep thoughts, just blurbs of life.


Things I have learned since last blogging.

- Eating a giant steak after no red meat for three weeks makes me feel terrible for the rest of the night. (But the steak was real good.)

- I'm not the only Woody Allen nut from the midwest.

- I will always be angry when people tell me it only takes 20 minutes to reach somewhere, when they really have no clue, and it ends up taking 3 hours. (Twice weekly here in the Suud.)

- Bob Dylan blows my mind.

- There are quite a few nights where I would rather sleep hungry than eat rice and beans again.

- My passion for all sports but soccer is on the wane. May have something to do with the lions unending hell, and the pistons descent into purgatory.

- I break every vehicle I touch. Every last one.

- I am a Vonnegut fan.

- A bit lukewarm on Henry James. Though I think I will add the phrase "another turn of the screw" to my lexicon.

- I think I would trade five years off the end of my life if I knew I would have a good cup of coffee every day until then.

- If the only satisfaction in your work is putting a check mark next to an accomplished task, it might not be the right job.

- This might not be Tottenham's season after all.


So I'm maybe a bit blue as I type, a bit discontented if you will. A product of boredom and self-centeredness I imagine. I regularly bemoan my lack of permanent home here in Sudan. I have no base and two and a half weeks is the longest I've been in one spot in nearly five months. I'm sick of it.


Yet I recall a similar problem from somewhere. And I paraphrase - birds of the air have their nests and foxes have their holes, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.


So following in some big footsteps. Now if I get a few more things right I'll be in business.


Hi ho.


The Suud remains the same. I will never lose my frustration with some things. And I will probably never feel quite at home here. But for those few friendships I have managed with the Sudanese, I will contribute the small bit I have to give, while praying it is something good.


So now as I'm leaving, I'm weary as hell, the confusion I'm feeling ain't no tongue can tell. The words fill my head and they fall to the floor, that if God's on our side, he'll stop the next war. - Bob Dylan.


1 comment:

Andrew Slate said...

shaps.....hey bro, great post, i was laughing and feeling your pain at the same time.......much love to you my friend, i've been married 2 months now and things are good.....what is your term of commitment in Sudan? is it indefinite? shoot me an email if you can....peace bro....