7.24.2009

"If one person is starving somewhere... you know, I-I... it puts a crimp in my evening."

- Alvy Singer in Annie Hall, as played (and written and directed) by Woody Allen.

So I thought of removing my last blog, as it was a collection of my distraught thoughts without much of a filter in place. But I'll leave it. I guess it's ok to be vulnerable sometimes. Especially in a blog that a half-dozen readers :)

To conclude the story though, things worked out as well as I could have imagined. I went to the hospital to see Peter immediately following my blog posting. I discovered that he had gone, picked up by his mother. I couldn't get any other info at that time, but later found Pastor Simon who works with us.

According to him, the boy lived in Arua, Uganda, a very, very long walk away from Yei. He had relatives in Yei and somehow walked there on his own. When his mother heard he was there, she came right away. The long walk by himself explains why he would have been filthy and dinged-up a bit. When Pastor Simon walked in with his mother, Peter jumped up excited and hugged her. It seems he has a family who cares for him. 

I don't know if I'll be able to track Peter from here. I wish I'd been present to make sure they were getting the medicine he needs. But for now I am extremely happy. It really couldn't have worked out better. 

Praise the Lord.

As for me, I am now in Rumbek for the evening, on my way to Wau in the morning. That is the second biggest city in South Sudan. Manute Bol is from there, and currently operates a hotel and restaurant there. Yes I am very excited for this.

And for tonight I thank the Lord for good food and friends to share it with. Amen.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Shaps...enjoyed the last couple posts. It's ok to keep it real. I need to remember that on my blog, actually...I'm so often full of the exciting news that I miss some of what probably matters more.